This is the J. Vance Lewis House located at 1218 Wilson in Houston’s Fourth Ward. The house is located in the National Register Historic District of Freedman’s Town, the community was settled after Emancipation and became a thriving center of black cultural and commercial activity way into the 1930s. Mr. Lewis was born a slave in Louisiana in 1863. He attended college in New Orleans before going on to earn a law degree and was admitted into the Supreme Court of Illinois in 1897, before being admitted to the Bar of the United States Supreme Court. He moved to Houston in 1901, where he built the house in 1907 at a cost of $2,800. He lived there with his wife, a librarian at the Colored Carnegie Library. He also practiced law from part of the house. After Mr. Lewis died in 1925 his wife lived in the house until her death in 1963. The outside has remained largely unaltered and In February 2007, the house was purchased by the Rutherford B. H. Yates Museum, Inc.
Tagged: , J._Vance_Lewis , House , Home , Modern_History , Emancipation , Slavery , Freedman’s_Town , Houston , Fourth_Ward , Texas , United_States , United_States_of_America , Lawyer , Attorney , Building , Conservation , Preservation , Old , Architecture , 20th_Century_Architecture